What is a Locate?
Locates are ground markings identifying the position of utility lines based on records or electronic locating equipment, and the associated necessary documentation such as a locate Sketch
What is a Ground Disturbance Activity?
Under section 2 of the NEB Act, ground disturbance does not include:
- cultivation to a depth of less than 45 cm below the surface of the ground
- any activity to a depth of less than 30 cm and that does not result in reduction of the depth of earth cover over the pipeline less than that approved at time of construction
- topsoil stripping
- land levelling/grading
- plowing to install underground infrastructure
- tree planting
- clearing and stump removal
- blasting/use of explosives
- grinding and milling of asphalt/concrete
- seismic exploration
- driving fence posts, bars, rods, pins, anchors, or pilings
- crossing of buried pipelines or other underground infrastructure by heavy loads off the travelled portion of a public roadway